John Hinkel Park Grand Opening
The City of Berkeley celebrated the completion of the restoration to John Hinkel Park with a ribbon-cutting and jazz orchestra performance to commemorate the event. O’Connor was selected as the Construction Manager for the $1.1 million renovation/improvement to the amphitheater area at the North Berkeley Park.
The project included a new playground and picnic area, as well as repairs, accessibility, site, and drainage improvements to the park. Additional improvements included:
- Replacement of natural stone pavers and installation of new asphalt paving in and around the amphitheater
- Repair and enhancement of the historic fireplace
- Electrical system and light pole upgrades
- New storm drain system and elimination of existing areas of ponding
- New playground structures and picnic area improvements
- Additional parking
The goal of the project was to provide a safe and inclusive play and picnic environment around the amphitheater while preserving the historic nature and character of the park. O’Connor also provided change order review, and schedule review and support for this project.
To learn more about the restoration visit: Revamped amphitheater, new picnic area open at John Hinkel Park (berkeleyside.org)